Celebrating More Than 90 Years of Relevant Service
    When the Lenoir City Rotary Club was established as the 1625th club on March 27, 1924, it would have been hard to imagine how the Lenoir City community and the world would be 90 years later. Yet, the work of the Lenoir City club remains as vital and needed as ever.
 

The organizational meeting was held on November 9, 1923 on the second floor of the Lenoir Drug Company building located on the corner of "A" and Broadway.

The charter members of the Lenoir City Rotary Club and their professions were:

  J.S. Jamerson, Sr.   Hardware
  Dr. J. Tom Leeper   General Surgery
  Dr. J.P. Campbell   Dentist
  Dr. W.D. Padget   Medicine
  J.H. Caldwell   Hosiery Manufacture
  E.R. Blackburn   Livestock
  J.L. Boggs   Real Estate
  H.E. Copeland   Lenoir Car Works
  J.F. Eason   Banking
  J.E. Foster   Gas and Oil Distributor
  O.G. Klotz   Hosiery Dying
  W.N. Lacy   Hotel
  K.K. McKinney   Dry Goods
  C.E. Morelock   Drugs
  A.L. Norwood   Hardware Distributor
  Tom E. Mills   Material Inspector, Southern Railway
       
  Following the organizational meeting, there were a few challenging months ahead. Although the club was accepting new members, it did not have an official charter. There was difficulty convincing the officers of Rotary International in Chicago that a club in such a small town with so few members could survive, for at the time it was the smallest organization to be proposed to Rotary International for charter. After more consideration, and with strong support from the Knoxville Rotary Club, a charter was granted on March 27, 1924. The Lenoir City club was one of the trail blazers for the current practice of expanding Rotary to serve smaller communities.